Thursday, December 06, 2007

The five o five : Thursday, December 6, 2007

Growing Pains

[2]<- What's This

Watching:Alien Happy Birthday

Well here I am. One year older. One year wiser. My birthday was Tuesday [Sojourner Truth news article] so I'm supposedly one year better than I was 2 days ago. I'm not exactly sure how this is supposed to work. Do I package all of my old vices up in a box and mail them off to some undisclosed location then sit around waiting for them to ship my new maturity and experience to me (priority overnight next-day air)? Am I supposed to walk a lil' bit mo' upright and speak a lil' mo' properly then I did a week ago? We never really notice ourselves growing older but suddenly, here we are, 27 years old with an eight year old daughter [Destiney Pic] and 7 years at the same job [SETT MySpace]. Before you know it your life has an impressive resumé [Ziggs Profile resumé] minus the 4 failed relationships in the same time and the "I still need to finish college" thing. That's no issue though. I never see anything as "too late". I'm one year older and ready for anything.

I used to think that things would be really different for me at this point but not really in a bad way. All the people I looked up to (when I was 18 and 19) were 25 and older [Jeff Johnson hiphopdx.com]. My ultimate idol is still Russel Simmons [Russel Simmons link] and he is like 60 something but still runs around and cusses and raps and doesn't look like he's slowing down any time soon. That's how I imagine I'll be by then. The old man that gets yelled at for "not acting his age". The old man than runs foot races against his grandsons at the family reunion. The cool grandpa that can do a back flip (I'll have to learn ho to back flip) off of the kitchen counter. I don't see getting older as slowing down I see it as picking up momentum.

They describe everything past 50 as "Over the hill" so why wouldn't I speed up at that point. If I'm going down hill then why would would I ride the brake? I'm looking forward to sitting around on my porch talking about the time when cars didn't fly and T.V. was only 2 dimensional. I can't wait to tell my great grandkids about Tupac and Biggie almost as though they themselves were Jesus incarnate and them telling me how played out rap is now. I can then see me hopping on a hover board or some levi-skates to show off some of the moves I used to do back in my day where we did the same thing but on a linoleum floor with plastic wheels [You Tube roller skating]. All the while President Destiney Kight [Desitney Pic] is on television telling the nation how her dad is crazy because he just won't slow down and Mayor Daylen [Daylen flickr] has just been nominated as "Man of the year" for the 10th year in a row.

Here I am, one day older. I will never see it as one day closer to the end. I've only just begun. I still have a full life ahead of me.

On your Mark.

Get Set!

Go!


0 comments: