Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The five o five : Tuesday, November 13, 2007

May The Force Be With You

[2]<- What's this?

I'm slippin' ya'll. I sincerely apologize for my absence. A lot has been going on lately and its none of that cry baby, "Wha, wha, wha, life is too hard," crap, but its just me out here taking care of some business. Of course I'm still going through some crazy adventures but that kind of stuff gives me the inspiration I need to keep going. Life is my muse (as crazy as she is)and as long as I'm alive, life will provide my best material (did I tell you I was a poet [tigga76 blog]). So today let's talk about creativity.

[[Side Note]]
Now, I'm going to be totally honest with you and let you know that I did attempt to blog yesterday and I even got as far as a draft of the post done, but in the end it was my first misfire. My brain just shut down and went blank and I was more concerned with the cosmetics of the previous posts that by the time I attempted to complete yesterday's issue it was already an hour too late. I'm a man of my word. I thought about finishing it sometime during the day but then I didn't want to break my own rules (If I finish anything beyond 6am then it can no longer be called the five o five [explaining the five o five]) so it was a total creative abortion and for that I'm sorry. I will post the remnants of it soon but just not here. I'll maybe post it on DA [tigga76 on deviantArt] or something. Just be sure to check the News and Updates post [news and updates] for the time and place. Now we return to our regularly scheduled blog post already in progress.



C R E A T I V I T Y
"
Creativity. She is an elusive mystery. She wades within our day to day activity hiding beneath our stacks of paper and our piles of bills. She plays peekaboo behind our cup of coffee and snorkels beneath our bath water. She pokes her head out from between the words in our favorite book and taunts and teases us at every given opportunity she can. She is the child that never grows up. The part of us that reminds us of who we used to be. She is the daughter of inspiration and the sister of depression. Creativity is the soul of evolution.
"

Creativity. She is an elusive mystery. She wades within our day to day activity hiding beneath our stacks of paper and our piles of bills. She plays peekaboo behind our cup of coffee and snorkels beneath our bath water. She pokes her head out from between the words in our favorite book and taunts and teases us at every given opportunity she can. She is the child that never grows up. The part of us that reminds us of who we used to be. She is the daughter of inspiration and the sister of depression. Creativity is the soul of evolution.

When I talk to people about god and stuff I always tell them (based on my observations) that human beings, so far, are the only creatures on the planet that possess, or utilize, the force known as creativity. As much as we would like to give animals the credit for emulating human behavior I honestly doubt that even a monkey could blog every morning at 5am. So we humans, the sole possessors of this creative force, have some responsibility on our hands. Creativity can not be stolen from us. No matter what has happened to any group of people on the planet, by any other group or natural event, creativity still carved its shiny emblem into the ruins of our lost civilizations.

Look at Egypt for an example [wikipedia Egyptian Mythology]. Every inch of their society was washed over in a shiny burst of human creativity and wonderment. The Egyptian people told stories about everything from where the sun [wikipedia Amun-RA] came from to where you go when you die [wikipedia Egyptian Afterlife]. To top all of that off they believed it. "Why not, I say" Perception is reality. Everything from their embalmed pharaohs all the way down to their mummified cats, Egyptians knew that they were going somewhere in the afterlife because a creative vessel such as the human form can not just die. They even were speculated to have built giant ships that would carry them across the rivers of the underworld. Crazy huh? Well, their "craziness" inspired almost all forms of modern religion [wikipedia religion] if you really think about it. They had the underworld and we have hell. See any similarities. The bottom line is those people were creative.

Some might call the Egyptians crazy as they do for almost every individual that walks the fine line between the "Real world" and the "Creative World" (and it is a fine line indeed). Creativity is nearly a state of mania if you think about it. In order to design something that has not yet materialized into solid form before us so that we may touch, taste, smell, hear or see evidence of its existence we must bend the rules of what we know to exist and use the building blocks of reality to construct the vessels of our imagination. We are the only beings on the planet that can make something that we can mentally perceive become something that we can physically interact with. I do believe however that this ability comes with great consequence.




C R E A T I V I T Y
"
Creative people don't fully accept this prison for which we live known as the real world. Creative people don't abide by the rules of the real world. If they did a few of your most prized luxury's would never have been invented.
"

Like I said before, being creative is one step away from being crazy. Creative people don't fully accept this prison for which we live known as the real world. Creative people don't abide by the rules of the real world. If they did a few of your most prized luxury's would never have been invented. Who would imagine that human beings, as awkward and heavy as we are, would be soaring through the skies faster than the birds them self? Good thing the Wright Brothers did [wikipedia Wright brothers]. Who would imagine being able to speak to someone more than a billion miles away almost instantaneously without the ruse of telekinesis or psychic phenomenon? Good thing Alexander Bell did [wikipedia Alexander Bell]. Who would have thought that we would be able to stare into a shiny black box and see live images of an entire world right outside our window from the comfort of our own home? Good thing the inventor of the television did [wikipedia Television]? All of things we take for granted born of some other person (or people's) imagination.

In most cases the inventors of our modern conveniences were labeled with the standard disclaimers for those for whom we wish not to understand (crazy, lunatic, insane, strange, out of their mind, head in the clouds, etc, etc). If it weren't for them (and all of the other's like them) however we would not be able to advance or go beyond the perceived limitations of the world around us.

Who would have thought a man would be able to walk on the moon. Throughout our human existence we have imagined it. We even named the moon "moon" from a character that exists within our fiction [wikipedia moon]. Today where're talking about going to Mars [BBC Mars]. Imaginations affords us boundless opportunities. We are no longer confined behind the bars of gravity, light nor perception. We can go above, beyond, within and without in almost a fraction of a second. I still sometimes wonder if this is the real world. Are we somehow (being as creative as we are) projecting our desires onto the dark gray carcass of reality? Have we simply grown so manically creative that we have reshaped the perception(s) of an entire planet? Are we all "crazies" running around free while the normal ones are being locked away? There would probably be no one to tell.

Creativity is the ship on which I sail the turbulent seas of reality. I'm headed off to discover new territory, are you coming with me? I hope there is enough wind in my sail? I hope that we don't run aground nor encounter any fierce hurricanes. I can only imagine that this is going to be an adventure of a lifetime. I can only imagine.

You want more? Check out the follow up question to this post on Yahoo! Answers.

0 comments: