Friday, October 26, 2007

The five 'o five: October 26, 2007

Am I dreaming?



D R E A M S
"
Maybe dreams are here only to fill the cold quiet nights with sounds and colors so we can remember who we are in the morning. Something like mental screen savers to prevent brain burn in.
"

I used to think that dreams were the by products of our waking moments. A mental reconfiguration of unresolved emotion, activities and incomplete thoughts. The scraps of a day gone by. I used to think that in the world of sleep there were no real danger or no real truths to behold. After last night though I think I'll change that theory.

I experienced a dream that resorted the people I know and the situations I have been through but in a seemingly peculiar fashion. The dream almost seemed to make mockery of a few of my unexamined insecurities. It involved a brief incident where a younger man who was attracted to my fiancé now pursued her more fervently which eventually morphed into some sort of casual orgy. Dreams sometimes don't follow any logical time line but I do clearly remember the rage that finding "love bites" on my woman's body by this other guy (in the dream of course) produced. It was a strong burning rage much like I had experienced before when I suspected an ex girlfriend of mine was cheating and discovered it was true. It was a rage unusual for a man so calm such as I. This rage turned into a sharp welded sword of drawn fist and curse words but the little punk ran. He ran from me in a dream!

Dreams are supposed to explain the real world and not confuse things, but this one did. Maybe dreams are here only to fill the cold quiet nights with sounds and colors so we can remember who we are in the morning. Something like mental screen savers to prevent brain burn in. Maybe the reshuffling and resorting serve the purpose of allowing us to examine our mistakes and successes in order to formulate the new day's itinerary before we wake.

But what if it goes even deeper? What if our dreams connect us all together? Most of us hardly ever discuss our dream (less the more vivid recounts) let alone remember them so what if our dreams all take place on the same plain of consciousness. What if every time we lie down to sleep we are plugged in to the subconscious internet like the MySpace of the mind? What if dreaming is our way sharing what we have learned with other who might benefit from our experience? I mean think about it? How often have you had a dream where you were the only one present? How often have you had a dream where the only activity you were doing was sleeping? We plan to travel the entire spans of the universe without even understanding the simplicities of our own human existence? What if our dreams can get us there faster? Everything you can imagine can become real so what if by collective dreaming we are designing the world in which we live. The images on the news. The people at our work and school. Can we simply dream a better existence or will it take a bit more than that?

This is almost a complete thought. Its beginning to fade now that morning is growing older. You can piece this together the best you can. Let me know what you think about what you understand though. What do your dreams mean to you?

0 comments: